Meals on Wheels (MOW) helps seniors (age 60+) remain independent and able to stay in their own homes. Nutritionally designed meals are delivered each weekday by a dedicated group of volunteers who enjoy the opportunity to brighten the day of our elderly neighbors. The MOW Intern will be responsible for assisting the Case Manager in assessing eligibility of existing and future clients. The intern will be expected to adhere to the organization’s confidentiality policies. This is an excellent opportunity to add experience with client contact while learning how a nonprofit operates.
Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Work closely with MOW Case Manager to assess existing clients as well as client wait list.
- Interact directly with clients via phone and face-to-face, including home visits.
- Intern will utilize his/her own vehicle to complete in-home assessments (United Way will reimburse for mileage).
- Assist MOW staff with community outreach events.
- May deliver meals to MOW clients.
- Assist with other MOW activities, such as working in databases, creating forms or handouts, etc.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working with seniors, via phone and in-person. Some helpful skills include the following:
· Excellent communication and listening skills
· Ability to work in a team environment
· Passionate about senior population